Powered by Blogger.

Spider Man

Sunday, September 11, 2011



I am on a old mid-range zoom kick recently. I don't know how I missed these affordable lenses before, but I have just discovered these useful lenses, and acquired a couple.

One is the 35-70mm f2.8, non-D version. An old professional mid range zoom, that's been replaced by 28-70, then by the 24-70mm f2.8 AFS lens. After doing my research on the web, I found a bargain rated copy at KEH for about $260, that's not bad for a pro graded lens, not bad at all. The design is old, and it is using the push-pull style zoom, but it didn't creep on me like my older 70-210mm lens. Boy, is it sharp! It has very fast focus, and with good light, I can hand hold to capture very detailed images. It also offered a 1:4 macro function, which, since always wanted a macro lens, but never made an investment into such a lens, I was sort of interested in venture into it a little more. I was thinking about buying an 85mm f1.8 for dedicated portait lens, now I don't have a need for that.

That's when I discovered the Nikon 28-105mm f3.5-f4.5 lens, it is another mid-range zoom, which I believe was a kit lens for the F100 when it was released, and it offers 1:2 macro function. At around $150 a pop on KEH for a bargain rated lens, I grabbed a copy without any hesitation. On a D80, it gives me 42mm-157mm range, which is actually very nice range for a walk about lens. I am not sure how KEH rates their lenses, but with this bargain rating, I can't find anything wrong with it. As long as glass elements are not scratched, I am happy.

The macro is available from 50-105mm range only, and I am just having a ball with this lens. It is not the sharpest lens, but I am having fun with it, I think that's what a hobby is about, right? Having fun...




Posted by Picasa

No comments:

 

Most Reading